Friday, June 20, 2008

Books Into Movies

As of late, it seems the baseball cap-wearing writers of La La Land are losing their creativity and falling back into simply adapting novels for the silver screen. I'm definately not a big fan of this, no matter how well the actors are, how amazing the script is and how generally wonderful the film is.

Would you like to know why?

Reading is all about imagination. The words the author uses, the descriptions given, can translate into so many different things (and I don't simply mean English to French, etc.) and have so many meanings. I understand that the rights to make your novel into a movie is a big deal for authors, but then again, once you've published something, that "thing" is not Just Yours anymore. You've shared it with the world. It's ours now.

For every person who wants their favourite book to be made into a film starring this week's teen icon, there's a hundred who don't.

Some (In)Famous Examples:
(Click to enlargen; I know the text is kind of hard to read)








What do you think? Am I out of my mind? Is there a book you wish was a movie? One you wish wasn't?

3 comments:

Gabrielle said...

"Ella Enchanted" definitely falls under the "Wish it wasn't a movie" category. I loved the book but the movie was horrendous.

alexgirl said...

I know what you mean. If you liked the book, you are bound to hate the movie adaptation. Atonement, Memoirs of a Geisha, Virgin Suicides...
But I think my book, Back Talk, should be made into a movie!!! If for no other reason than to encourage a few more people to pick up the book :)

Alea said...

I actually liked the movie version of the Devil Wears Prada better than the book! Some adaptations are better than others. For the most part I enjoy seeing them after I have read the book, the book is usually better though! In some cases it compliments the book.